10 October 2010

Our New Studio space!

I have been on UK Craft Forum a fair bit recently and it seems that everyone is posting about their workspace/studios so I thought I'd write a little about mine.You can see my small but well-lit space in the corner. Luckily my miniature origami pieces don't take up much space. Just next to it is the space I use to teach Japanese.


We are going for a 'white' theme in the room (thanks Ikea!) and here is the space my husband uses to work. It's actually a fair bit messier than this at the moment...


We have recently been working with new lacquering materials which involve quite a time consuming lacquering process. The new process we are using allows our pieces to have a similar strength to resin, but is water based and allows us to avoid the staining that occurs with chemical based resins. Sometimes it gives my workspace a slightly 'surreal' feel!


As you can see my desk is usually full of 'works in progress'. I have photos of my family and friends from Japan under the laminate desk protector so that I don't get too homesick! All these pieces are in the final stage of the lacquering process...


Here's a close up of one of the final pieces after all the lacquering has been applied. The new process gives it a much more durable waterproof finish. It also creates a much more gloss-like appearance. The whole process takes a long time but it is worth it to be confident in the strength of our pieces.

Thanks for reading! I am currently working on a bespoke piece of silver jewellery that for the first time, although it is made with the same PMC sheeting, doesn't use one of our origami designs. It has been a steep learning curve for me and I'll post some photos up as soon as it's finished!  

にほんブログ村 英語ブログへにほんブログ村 ハンドメイドブログ ハンドメイドショップへ

8 comments:

SilverPaw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
martienn said...

jejjjj, i love ur blog !
is really interesting !
more more more more !!


follow me and write comment if you want ;**

Anna said...

I love your blog and have awarded it a Stylish Blogger Award.
Check out my blog at http://silverpawjewellery.blogspot.com for more info x

Kayleigh said...

Hi,
The cranes you make are so beautiful.
I have given you a Stylish Blogger Award, have a look at my blog www.handcraftedbykayleigh.blogspot.com for more information.

FuzzyFolk said...

Wow you have been busy, they look fab!

Silver Jewelry said...

I just wanted to comment your blog and say that I really enjoyed reading your blog post here.
It was very informative!!!!

fashion jewellery and accessories said...

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your work!

sterling silver necklace said...

Very cute and design.. thanks for sharing...

Related Posts with Thumbnails